Although there has only been but a small amount of studies focusing on massage during pregnancy, there exists still some very useful tips from which expecting mothers can benefit. And, in just a moment, I will outline WebMD’s list of massage techniques and its advantages.
According to WebMD, some safe techniques for pregnancy massage include:
- deep-tissue massage, with firm strokes pressing deep into muscles
- Swedish massage, with long strokes to muscles and attention to joint mobility
- Shiatsu, with pressure and tapping on acupressure points to stimulate the body’s natural energy
According to WebMD, the University of Miami’s School of Medicine suggests that massage therapy might have a multitude of positive effects including:
- lowered anxiety
- decreased back and leg pain
- improved sleep
- decreased levels of the stress hormone norepinephrine
In another study of pregnancy massage in depressed women, researchers found:
- increased levels of the feel-good hormones serotonin and dopamine
- decreased levels of cortisol, an indicator of stress
- an overall improvement in mood
Click here to read the full article.