Massage Therapy Can Significantly Improve Your Running Potential
It is of no consequence what type of runner you are; whether you sprint, jaunt, jog or simply run on the spot, your muscles will require some mending post-haste. And that’s where massage therapy can help.
Massage therapy is proven to not only help repair those sore muscles after a good run, but actually improve your overall endurance. Massage therapy can also help with flexibility, and reduce your risk of injury, as massage works to elongate the muscles, relieve muscle tightness, restore joint range of motion, and improve circulation.
Still not convinced?
Here are 4 ways massage therapy can help runners.
4 Ways Massage Therapy Benefits Runners
1. Reduced Muscle Pain and Fatigue
- If you’re starting a new training regimen, you’ll find your muscles will become sore very quickly. That’s due to lactic acid that’s produced in the tissue. Massage therapy can help to ease this toxin and increase circulation, alleviating the pain.
2. Increased Circulation and Blood Flow
- Massage increases circulation and blood flow. With this increased circulation, overall healing is expedited by triggering the immune system to promote a healing response in the tissue.
3. Increased Flexibility
- Increasing an athlete’s range of motion can help improve performance. When we can move properly, we can run more efficiently. Massage therapy can help rebalance the musculoskeletal system, which, in turn, can eliminate pain caused by lack of flexibility.
- A good massage can help to not only relieve muscle tightness, but promotes relaxation in mind and body and reduces stress, all of which are highly beneficial for your body.